Utah Imaging Associates, Inc. Notifies Indivdiuals of Data Security Incident


Farmington, UT: November 18, 2021 - Utah Imaging Associates, Inc. ("UIA"), a radiology medical practice located in Utah, has become aware of a data security incident that may have resulted in unauthorized access to the sensitive personal information of some former and current patients. UIA is notifying via first-class mail, any individual whose information may have been present during the unauthorized access, to provide details about the incident, steps UIA is taking in response, and resources available to help protect against the potential misuse of personal information. UIA sincerely regrets any concern or inconvenience this matter may cause, and remains dedicated to ensuring the privacy and security of all information in UIA's control.

On September 4, 2021, UIA detected and stopped a network security incident. Upon discovery of this incident, UIA promptly secured and began remediating its network. UIA also engaged a specialized third-party cybersecurity firm to conduct a comprehensive investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. Based on the available evidence, the forensic investigation determined that some UIA files containing sensitive data were available to the unauthorized actor during the incident.


On November 18, 2021, UIA notified the individuals impacted by this incident. As of the date of this notice, UIA has not received any reports of related identity theft since the date of the incident (September 4, 2021 to present). 


UIA is committed to doing everything to protect the privacy and security of the personal information in UIA's care. Since the discovery of the incident, UIA has taken and will continue to take steps to prevent a similar incident from occurring in the future. In light of the incident, UIA is offering impacted individuals with complimentary credit monitoring and identity theft restoration services through IDX. UIA encourages individuals who think their information may have been impacted to call (833) 525-2720 (toll free) Monday through Friday, during the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Mountain Standard Time (excluding U.S. national holidays) for more information.


Once again, UIA sincerely regrets any concern or inconvenience this matter may cause, and remains dedicated to ensuring the privacy and security of all information in our control. For any media inquiries, please reach out to: Autumn Patterson at 385-375-7003 or [email protected].


While UIA has no evidence of the misuse of any potentially affected individuals information, UIA is providing the following information to help those who want to know more about steps they can take to protect themselves and their personal information:


What Steps can I take to protect my personal information?

-- You should always remain vigilant for incidents of fraud and identity theft by reviewing credit card account statements and by monitoring your credit report for suspicious or unusual activity.

-- Please notify your financial institution immediately if you detect any suspicious activity on any of your accounts, including unauthorized transactions or new accounts opened in your name that you do not recognize. You should also promptly report any fraudulent activity or any suspected incidents of identity theft to proper law enforcement authorities.

-- You can request a copy of your credit report, free of charge, directly from each of the three nationwide credit reporting agencies. To do so, free of charge once every 12 months, please visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll free at 1-877-322-8228. Contact information for the three nationwide credit reporting agencies is listed below.

-- You have the right to file or obtain a police report if you experience identity fraud. Please note that in order to file a crime report or incident report with law enforcement for identity theft, you will likely need to provide proof that you have been a victim. A police report is often required to dispute fraudulent items. You can generally report suspected incidents of identity theft to local law enforcement or to the Attorney General.

-- You can take steps recommended by the Federal Trade Commission to protect yourself from identity theft. The FTC's website offers helpful information at www.ftc.gov/idtheft.


How do I obtain a copy of my credit report?

-- You may obtain a copy of your credit report, free of charge, whether or not you suspect any unauthorized activity on your account. You may obtain a free copy of your credit report from each of the three nationwide credit reporting agencies. To order your free credit report, please visit www.annualcreditreport.com, or call toll-free at 1-877-322-8228. You can also order your annual free credit report by mailing a completed Annual Credit Report Request Form (available at https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0155-free-credit-reports) to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA, 30348-5281.


How do I place a fraud alert on my account?

-- You can place fraud alerts with the three credit bureaus by phone or online. A fraud alert tells creditors to follow certain procedures, including contacting you, before they open any new accounts or change your existing accounts. For that reason, placing a fraud alert can protect you, but also may delay you when you seek to obtain credit. As of September 21, 2018, initial fraud alerts last for one year. Victims of identity theft can also get an extended fraud alert for seven years.


- Experian: P.O. Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013; 1-888-397-3742; www.experian.com/fraud/center.html

- TransUnion: P.O. Box 2000, Chester, PA 19016; 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com/fraud-alerts

- Equifax: P.O. Box 105069, Atlanta, GA 30348; 1-800-525-6285; https://www.equifax.com/personal/credit-report-services/credit-fraud-alerts/


How do I place a security freeze on my credit report?

-- You have the right to place a security freeze on your credit report.A security freeze is intended to prevent credit, loans, and services from being approved in your name without your consent.To place a security freeze on your credit report, you need to make a request to each consumer reporting agency.You may make that request by certified mail, overnight mail, regular stamped mail, or by following the instructions found at the websites listed below.The following information must be included when requesting a security freeze (note that if you are requesting a credit report for your spouse or a minor under the age of 16, this information must be provided for him/her as well): (1) full name, with middle initial and any suffixes; (2) Social Security number; (3) date of birth; (4) current address and any previous addresses for the past five years; and (5) any applicable incident report or complaint with a law enforcement agency or the Registry of Motor Vehicles.The request must also include a copy of a government-issued identification card and a copy of a recent utility bill or bank or insurance statement.It is essential that each copy be legible, display your name and current mailing address, and the date of issue.As of September 21, 2018, it is free to place, lift, or remove a security freeze. You may also place a security freeze for children under the age of 16.You may obtain a free security freeze by contacting any one or more of the following national consumer reporting agencies:


- Experian: P.O. Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013; 1-888-397-3742; www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

- TransUnion: P.O. Box 160, Woodlyn, PA 19094; 1-888-909-8872; www.transunion.com/credit-freeze

- Equifax: P.O. Box 105788, Atlanta, GA 30348-5788; 1-888-298-0045; https://www.equifax.com/personal/credit-report-services/credit-freeze/


What should I do if my family member's information was involved in the incident and is deceased?

-- We are sorry for your loss.  To help protect your deceased family member, there are steps you can take to request a copy of your deceased family member's credit report.  An executor or surviving spouse can place a request to any of the three credit reporting agencies for a copy of the deceased individual's credit report.  An executor or surviving spouse can also request that the following two notices be placed on a deceased individual's credit report:


- Deceased, Do not issue credit; or

- If an application is made for credit, please notify the following person(s) (e.g. surviving relative, executor/trustee of the estate and/or local law enforcement agency notifying the relationship). 


Contact information for the three nationwide credit reporting companies is as follows:

- Experian: PO Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013; 1-888-397-3742; www.experian.com

- TransUnion: PO Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834; 1-800-680-7289; www.transunion.com

- Equifax: PO Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374; 1-800-525-6285; www.equifax.com


For more information regarding identity theft and the deceased, please visit http://www.idtheftcenter.org and search for FS 117 - Identity Theft and the Deceased - Prevention and Victim Tips. You should also notify the Social Security Administration and Internal Revenue Service of the death of your family member and that you received this letter.